Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sweetness squared


OMG, Stitched With Prayer, I am so happy to have made you do a happy dance! I got your e-mail and your prize is on it's way to you. Thanks for the hug, you are sweet.
In fact you were all such sweet and gracious guests.
I wish I could share a cup of tea and the ginger snaps I made with all of you.
I will at least share some sweetness by sharing the recipe with you. As a matter of fact, several of my friends have been after me to give it to them so they will be happy to see this post... and I won't get scolded anymore. LOL
These really are great ginger snaps. I found the recipe in an old Wisconsin Electric Power Company Christmas cookie recipe book that my Mom gave me. There is no year printed anywhere in the book but the photographs on one of the pages show the women in the kitchen wearing high heels!
Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. Don't know about you but I liberated myself from high heels a long time ago.
I used to wear them every day - yikes. Now I can only handle a few hours at best and it has to be for a darn good reason. How about you?
Anyway...here is the coveted recipe....enjoy and share the sweetness.

Ginger snaps
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
(extra granulated sugar for rolling)
Cream butter: add sugar gradually. Blend in corn syrup and egg.
Add in dry ingredients and stir together.
Chill a few hours.
Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake @ 375 degrees for about 9-11 minutes. Cookies become crisp when cooled (unless it's really humid out)
Makes about 5 to 6 dozen.

Hint ~ I use the air bake cookie sheets and they turn out really nice on them.

2 comments:

Stitched With Prayer said...

OH!!! Gingersnaps are my favorite cookie in the whole world. Thanks so much for the recipe and also thanks again for the generous give away. You would have been even happier if you had actually seen me doing the happy dance, it is a visual filled with laughter, trust me on that, LOL. I'll let you know when my treasures arrive, so you will know they got here safely. THanks again so very much. As for high heels, Lord, I gave up on them long before I quit working outside the home and that was in 1995. I don't even own a pair now. How funny is that? It I can't wear tenny runners or houseslippers, I don't go, LOL. I have to admit though that it is due to health issues so I can get away with that attitude. Well, I'm thinking it is nap time, our 7 am water aerobics class came early after a kind of bad night and since it is only 17 degress outside, I'll probably turn the electric blanket on 'Fry'. Have a wonderful day cause you have certainly made mine brighter.

Lucy said...

These are so good, made a big batch last night and packeged them up to give to my work friends, Thanks for the recipe. Lucy x (Munyip Makes)