Monday, March 14, 2011

A new sewing machine.....

Goodness, sewing machines seem to be multiplying like rabbits in my house. My dearly loved and much used Viking 990 died on me a few weeks ago (r.i.p.) and the part to fix it is not to be found right now. Rest assured I will keep looking, but in the meantime my dear, sweet generous friends all offered the use of their spare machines to use. First I had Marti's Janome and it was very easy to learn and so I stitched away on that until the other day. My friend Cathi sent me home with her Bernina to try.
my dead machine, and two loaners from my BFF's



Then,  before I got a chance to try it, a used Viking came up for sale here locally. I kind of wanted to stay with a Viking because I have had such good service from mine these many years and it has sewn virtually everything I could throw at it. Poor thing just finally got tired I guess. I also have a lot of extra feet for the Viking.
Anyway..... I brought my new machine home and I hope it is happy here. It's a Viking Designer 1, but it is missing the embroidery unit. I finally had a chance to try it last night and so far so good. As with any new machine there is a bit of a learning curve but it stitches great and has a lot of cool features. I'll let you know how I like the stippling quilt stitch when I get a chance to use it more.
But..... I got it for a good price and I don't think I would use the embroidery unit right now. If I want to I can always purchase that later.
Now I just have to bling it up with my Studio Bling so it feels like mine.
my new Designer 1


I know a lot of people like using the embroidery units, do you have an embroidery machine and how much do you use the embroidery features?????
What do you like most about the sewing machine you have???
What do you like the least????
How old is your most used machine???
I bought my 990 in '84 or '85 - wow - that was a long time ago!
Now I can begin returning the borrowed machines to my BFF's and hope I can return the favor some day.

2 comments:

ozjane said...

Oh I hope you love your D1 and it would be lovely if you could pick up an embroidery unit.
I got mine around '02 I think and I have loved it. My only problem is I bought it from a local dealer and they closed down but a dealer 45 mins drive took up the warranty.
I do not do heaps of embroidery but I love having that function.

herabird said...

I have the D1 with embroidery unit and I LOVE it. This feature really opens up a world of possibilities, including embroiderying quilting designs and motifs onto your quilt. It's wayyy to addictive!