Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hera today - gone tomorrow



First, you need a tool called a Hera marker. Google it and you'll come up with a gazillion results but more than likely your local quilt shop has it.

Just in case you haven't seen this simple technique I wanted to share it with you. This works best on a quilt that is already sandwiched. What's nice about this is that the creases fade away eventually (depending on fabric and humidity) unlike pencil marks.

On the quilt I want to mark, I want straight quilting lines that don't follow a seam line. In fact the quilting will cross the seams. (see pic 1)

Use a long acrylic ruler and place the edge where you want your line of quilting. (pic 2)



Run the Hera marker across your fabric sandwich using the edge of the ruler as your guide. The marker will leave a crease in your fabric.
(pic 3)



You can then quilt along the creased line. If the creased line fades before you finish (hand quilting) then just re crease with the Hera marker. I am machine quilting this quilt and so the lines lasted throughout the quilting process. I have used this easy method for a long time with great results. Give it a try and pardon the bad pun :)

2 comments:

Darlee said...

Thanks Linda. It does look easy and when I get my sewing room ready I may just try quilting that quilt top myself. Hmmm.... still thinking on that one!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Linda, I was wondering where I can find one of these tools. I machine quilt and get so tired of marking with chalk pencils. Thanks so much for sharing this tip.