Saturday, February 13, 2016

A new spool of thread...

You know when a spool of thread jumps off your sewing machine, or jumps of of your hand when threading a needle, and how it goes scurrying across the floor?

my spool of thread
 You figure it can't have gone very far. You look around, but it's not within view. Now you end up having to follow the trail of thread, to find out where in the world that spool ended up. If you have a wood or tile floor, it can travel pretty far. If it's a new spool and has momentum who knows where it may end up.
Well, that's been my life this past year or so.....chasing that new spool of thread and its led us miles away, back to my hometown.

the moving truck
Yes, big changes for my hubby and me. Long story short, We have lived in S. Florida for the past 40 years and then made the decision to sell our home, pack up, and head back to be near our families in the great frozen tundra a.k.a. The state of Wisconsin. Say What! yes, everyone is telling us we're doing it backwards. we are supposed to be going to Florida not leaving it.
Well, somethings are more important than weather........ Like family. That's why we made the big move.
Anyway.....needless to say I didn't have the time, nor the energy to blog while getting our house ready to go on the market, then the packing......no I didn't  have much fabric to pack HA - HA - HA
That's when your hubby realizes just how much fabric you have.


no....this isn't all fabric.....my fabric went in special bins!

My local guild benefited from my de-stashing, which put a small dent in my stash. 
On the flip side, he has quite the tool stash.
It is wonderful being near our families again, and even though we sorely miss our many dear friends in Florida, (weepy eyes) we know we made the right decision to move back to be with parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles etc. and friends from years past. (happy dance)


Great niece's 1st birthday cake experience.
My husbands dear sweet sister was quite ill, and we were able to be here for her, and spend a precious 7 months with her before she passed away just before Christmas. Those precious months with her are ones we'll never regret having. 
My loving parents are now getting up in years, and we also want to be here for them, as they need more help in their daily lives. We also have a lot of catching up to do.
Family is the thread that weaves our lives together, and following my new spool of thread led us back to them. From my sewing room floor in Florida, uphill, 1500 miles to Wisconsin.
Can you say BRRRRRRR?

afternoon drive in Wisconsin
I'm glad we followed the thread, now time to get stitching, after all, it looks like tomorrow is going to be a snow day.
See you back here soon with more quilt and life adventures.





2 comments:

Laura McGrath said...

I understand your move, I lived in NY state for most of my life, then moved to North Carolina in 2004. Now I'm back in New York because of kids and grandchildren. I can put up with the snow and cold, it's nice to be able to see them every day!

Linda/Thistledown and Co. said...

I'm so happy that you're also enjoying being back with your family. When people question our move to the north, I just say there's more to life than weather.