Sunday, February 15, 2009

Naples Quilt Show

Congratulations to EVERYONE that entered a quilt in our Naples Quilt Guild Stitches in Time Quilt Show. It always takes place on or around Valentines Day and so usually our spouses tend to be slightly ignored for a good part of the 3 days of the quilt show and show set-up. My husband, being the sweet hubby that he is, takes it all in stride and is just happy that I am able to immerse myself in all that is quilts during this much anticipated event. Our guild has an amazing pool of highly talented quilters of the traditional and non-traditional sort. It makes for an extremely pleasing mix of quilts on display. This years show we had 190 quilts on display. My favorite was one made by my friend Jessie. We've all seen her working on it throughout the year and at last it was done and hanging in the quilt show and.... sporting a first place blue ribbon besides! it is a string pieced quilt and she used all Kaffe Fasset's fabrics. I think it's absolutely stunning. Jessie made it for her sister, what a lucky sister!


Here is Sandra next to her star quilt that she worked at so dilegently to get done in time and she did it! I wish it were mine. This huge fabulous scrap quilt was made by my friend Aloyse and I can't believe she had that many scraps as this is not her first scrappy quilt, her scrap box obviously was even more of a behemoth than mine.

This next quilt is a small innovative quilt depicting birch trees was made by Veronica the chair of this years quilt show and I just love it, as did the judge. She was also the winner of Best of Show with this spectacular innovative quilt called "High Humidity", appropriate for Florida, sorry it is so out of focus, I think I was jostled in the crowd. I wish I would have gotten a close up picture, the thread painting on this quilt is phenomenal.


I should have taken more pictures but I was too busy really looking at the quilts and chatting with friends and shopping the vendors. My friend Mary had a vendor booth at the show. Her shop is an online store giftsforquilters.com and she carries all sorts of really adorable "gifty" items for quilters and knitters too. That's Mary sitting down, and Lillian ( friend and helper) standing. One of the highlights of our quilt show is the Mini Quilt Auction, guild members make miniature quilts that are then auctioned off and the proceeds are donated to Breast Cancer Research. We are fortunate to have found a hysterically funny, kind, and talented auctioneer that donates his time and energy each year. He not only brings in great proceeds during the auction but keeps us laughing through the entire event.


I could go on and on about the quilt show but yikes - I have to go get caught up on things since I was out goofing off at the quilt show the last few days. Did I mention that dust is also my nemisis? Can't wait until the next quilt show.

No comments: